Tuesday, March 6, 2012

BOO! My first two JOUR1111 lectures.

For a start, let me just say that my first ever lecture at UQ was a second-year course, JOUR2221. I don't know how I ended up enrolled in International Journalism and Mass Communication, but I'm really glad of the accident because I'm finding it completely fascinating, don't feel I've bitten off more than I can chew at all, & refuse to leave the class. (Yes, I have made it clear to my lecturer that I'm first year, don't worry!) Why am I mentioning this? Because honestly, being the smart-arse that I am, I was really worried that after doing some awesome stuff on foreign correspondents, getting a sneak peak at a lecture in a few weeks on guerrilla journalism and journalism during Apartheid, I'd be bored brainless in JOUR1111. I like to think I'm super smart, see?

Thankfully, that wasn't the case.

I've had two JOUR1111 lectures and one tute now, and they've only confirmed that this is exactly what I want to be doing with myself and my life. I'm feeling seriously privileged to be living in a time where we seem to be on the cusp of web 3.0's imminent impact on Journalism as a whole, along with all the new access to information, media & all that jazz my generation is exposed to.

In saying that, however, I also feel that I'm a part of a generation of apathy. Remember that Adam and Andrew song from like five years ago, 'Emo Kid' or whatever? It ironically mocked the emo/scene movement and how determined its cult members were not only not to fit in, but not to care about anything at all. Yuck, right? Confined just to kids wearing black skinny jeans and way too much eyeliner, right? I dunno, it seems like no-one my age wants to buy magazines any more, because they could just go on Twitter or read a blog instead -
and yes, micro blogging, social networking, blogging, vlogging & the lot of 'em are a huge part of my life, but I've never understood why people feel the need to replace one form of media with another; no matter how "Tumblr famous" (we'll get into this in a later blog post) I or anyone else becomes, I see no reason to use this new media standing to replace old media! Magazines until I die!

Anyway, the contact lens in my left eye is rejecting, so I'm going to go get ready for this party tonight. I found today's tute fascinating so I'll post about that soon.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment!