Sunday, April 22, 2012

On being someone with tattoos, piercings & pink hair in the Journalism world:

Before I start this, I just want to say that I obviously don't actually WORK within journalism as yet. I'm only a first year student, and I am completely confident in my ability to do a damn good job of whatever I end up doing, whether it be Journalism, television, PR, advertising, whatever.

I have always maintained that if someone doesn't want me to work for their company due to the fact that I have a few facial piercings and tattoos on my arms, then I don't want to work for them anyway - I am confident enough in my ability to represent anyone I work for in a positive light and do the absolute best at the job, that I don't think it will be TOO much of an issue...
But it's annoying that it has to be one.

Currently, I am a nineteen year old with twelve tattoos, some of which are visible, multiple piercings, and pink hair. I may or may not look like this for the rest of my life, but clearly the tattoos aren't going anywhere. I chose to look like this. I know the societal consequences of my actions. I do not see myself as marginalised or a 'minority' because of the way that I CHOOSE to look. 


However, this doesn't change my annoyance at the way that I was blatantly ignored throughout my lecture today. Obviously I don't know that this was the reason, but when other people's questions were getting answered, it's unfortunately the first thing my mind jumped to.

I am aware that I will have to work harder than some other candidates when it comes to employment, and this presents no issue for me, as I am confident in my ability to blow anyone out of the water - but during my education? Frustrating. Frustrating beyond comprehension.

1 comment:

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment!